My Trip to California

Sorry it has been so long since my last update, but  I got some new records (more on that later), so hopefully, I will get better.

I have been in California for just over a week now. It is a welcome change. I came here in February and April, but those were really short trips and I felt that I had to cram everything in. This is the first trip where I have been able to spend a good amount of time in my former hometown since I moved to the Nation’s Capitol a year a and a half ago. I originally started making plans to go out to California because a friend of mine is getting married on Dec. 6th, so I thought I would come out for that. The more I thought about it, the less appealing a cross country weekend jaunt was, so  I decided to use more vacation days and stretch it out to Thanksgiving. I got to LA (Burbank) on Wednesday after a trecherous flight schedule that included layovers in Chicago and Denver. It was long, but I made it.

First on tap was Thanksgiving. I was able to go to my friend’s mom’s house. It was great getting to see her because I have not been able to see her since I left and it was great seeing other friends that had come too. Of course, the day after Thanksgiving was Black Friday and I had some shopping to do. I bought a Toshiba Netbook, a 6-piece luggage set ($34) and a 25 pack of DVD-R for good measure. Wasn’t the best Black Friday, but it was good enough. I was able to see other friends on Friday and got to go to a LA Kings game on Saturday. A great time was had by all. Sunday was time for church and it was great seeing old friends there too. I was really looking forward to Tuesday (Dec. 1st) because I was having lunch was some very good friends at my former employer and I always have a great time there (as well as a lot of cookies). I should point out that on Saturday I made it to Philippes, Sunday, I made it to In-N-Out and yesterday (Wednesday), I made it to Tommy’s.

I received a Facebook message from another good friend seeing if I wanted to come with him to his softball game. I have nevver been able to say no to softball and this was no exception. He still plays for the same team I used to play for and it was GREAT seeing some real softball for a change. I knew a few of the old faces so I had a great time reconnecting with them too. It wasn’t all fun, though, as a gentleman playing for the other team broke his ankle and had to be taken off the field on a stretcher. I don’t know how bad it was. At the end of the night night J&B Painting (my team) was victorious and the pitcher pitched a great game. Before the game I was able to hang out with my old roommate and we went to Amoeba Music in Hollywood (my favorite record store) and I bought four vinyl records and one CD.

All that is left to do on this trip is go to the wedding itself, and that is this weekend. I leave for Palm Springs on Friday and I leave back for Washington DC on Sunday. I am grateful for a direct flight back to DC. It is back to work on Monday, back to temperatures in the 40s and back to my normal life on the other side of the country, but this has been a great trip.



  1. Melanie said

    I’m really glad that you had such a wonderful trip, and I’m happy that the cookies and Yahoo! lunch had something to do with it …

  2. Wow enjoyed reading your post. I added your rss to my reader.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: